Best Summer Activities in Waterford
Sandy beaches, scenic walks, lovely villages and loads of festivals. With longer days and good weather Waterford City, ideally located in the sunny south east, offers a unique experience during summer.
No visit to Waterford would be complete without a visit to its local beaches. Some of the most popular beaches in County Waterford include:
- Woodstown Strand: A long stretch of sandy beach which is located on the banks of the wide estuary carved by the River Barrow making it a lovely sheltered sunny spot.
- Clonea Strand: A long, wide stretch of sandy beach about 40 minutes’ drive from Waterford City. It is described as one of the best beaches on the South East coast of Ireland for its golden sand. Many come for long walks and family days out at the beach.
- Tramore Beach: This “Big Strand” is only a 15 minutes drive from Waterford City. It is famous for its 5km golden, sandy beach surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean and is one of the region’s most popular resorts. Tramore town is built on steep hills rising up from the beach with stunning views and lots of lovely restaurants, cafes, family amusements and shops to visit. The long, rolling waves in Tramore attract swimmers, surfers and sea kayaking.
- Ballyquin Beach: This beach has been awarded the Green Coast Award for 2019 and it is only 1 hr drive away from Treacys Hotel Waterford. Ballyquin Beach is located approximately 4km northeast of Ardmore. This secluded beach is quite open so when it’s windy you will likely need to wrap up. This sandy beach has tide pools and rock fishing and some pools for the kids to explore. Always popular for walking and fishing all year round.
- Dunmore East: It has lovely sheltered and picturesque coves, where swimming and snorkelling can be enjoyed. There are several beautiful secluded coves including Stoney Cove, Ladies Cove, Mens Cove and Badgers Cove all within the village of Dunmore East. You can also take the ferry from here to Ballyhack, Co. Wexford which is a stunning coastal drive.
During summer, numerous festivals take place around Waterford City. Music, arts, food and culture festivals attract visitors from all over the country.
Dunmore East Festival of Food, Fish & Fun
Location: Dunmore East, Co. Waterford
Telephone: +353(0)86 6024315
An annual festival, Dunmore East Festival of Food, Fish & Fun promises a weekend full of family fun, great food and live entertainment with a large market held in the harbour.
All together Now
Location: Curraghmore House, Co. Waterford
All Together Now is set across 18 stages of music, spoken word, comedy, theatre, debate, art, workshops, wellness, and everything in between from feasts of food to bespoke cocktails, there is something of a wonder for everyone in the family, all within walls of the beautiful Curraghmore Estate. It is a children-friendly festival with a Family camping site.
Camphire International Horse Trials and Country Fair
Location: Cappoquin, Co. Waterford
Telephone: +353(0)85 7117423
Camphire International Horse Trials and Country Fair promises the best of displays and family entertainment. In addition to the great cross country action, dressage and showjumping, a range of wonderful trade and country fair events take place also.
Waterford Spraoi International Street Arts Festival (Arts Festivals)
Location: Waterford City, Co. Waterford
Telephone: +353(0)51 841808
The international Music & Arts festival, Spraoi Festival takes place on August Bank Holiday. For three days, the city devotes itself to a variety of street art and spectacle, featuring hundreds of performers, live music, and an array of new street theatre – Irish and international.
Summer in the City – All summer
From June to mid-August amazing events will be happening every weekend around the Viking Triangle, in Waterford City Centre. Loads of gigs, arts and children activities all free for you to enjoy.
Location: Waterford City
Each year Waterford Walls festival invites world-class national and international street artists to join us and paint the city’s walls with stunning large scale artwork. Come and enjoy amazing live painting by some of the world’s top street artists, along with a fun-filled family-friendly programme of activities including live music, workshops, guided art trails and expert panel talks. It caters to art lovers of all ages and this year we are launching our new children’s street art programme.
Dunmore East Bluegrass Festival
Location: Dunmore East, Co. Waterford
Telephone: +353 87 2562899
If banjo pickin’, foot tappin’ mandolin’ pluckin’, barnstormin’, step dancin’ fiddle playin’, double bass clawin’ sessions are for you, then the beautiful picturesque coastal village of Dunmore East, Co. Waterford is the only place to be in late August.
Leave a Reply