Waterford is the perfect destination for the next Bank Holiday with loads of things to do with kids and family.
Long weekends are perfect to explore and get to know Waterford city and its surroundings. Enjoy a long weekend full of fun with your children, friends or family. Here are just a few things to do across Waterford:
May Bank Holiday
May Bank Holiday can be a great opportunity for a family getaway in Waterford. There are many activities to enjoy with your family and friends.
- The Waterford Greenway runs from Waterford City to Dungarvan, 46 car-free kilometres to explore. You can walk, run or cycle the greenway. There are several bike hire companies in the area with a wide range of services on offer, so no need to worry about that when heading away on your short break.
- Tramore is a 20-minute drive away from Waterford and is very popular for surfing, perfect for beginners and intermediates alike. There are many surf shops and schools in the area. Bunmahon Surf School located on the Copper Coast also runs surf lessons for groups and private lessons, kids surfing camps, board and wetsuit hire.
If the weather is less than ideal for outdoor activities, your family can still have a lot of fun at Activate Waterford where you play bowling, laser tag, mini golf and much more.
June Bank Holiday
With the good weather, June is the perfect month to discover Waterford. 147km of rugged coastline that includes 49 picturesque beaches. Tramore, Lawlor’s Beach, Dunmore East or Bunmahon just to name a few.
Come to Waterford and discover the South East Coastal Drive – a fabulous drive with sandy beaches, scenic walks, stunning coves and lovely villages along the way.
August Bank Holiday
As Ireland’s oldest city, Waterford is steeped in history. Learn the city’s fascinating history over the August bank holiday weekend at the Viking Triangle. This historical area of the city is home to the Medieval Museum, Reginald’s Tower and the Bishop’s Palace. These fantastic attractions will give you an insight into different periods of the city’s journey since the Vikings settled in the city in 914 A.D.
- The Medieval Museum in Waterford is the only purpose-built medieval museum in Ireland. Take a tour with a costumed tour guide to view the wonderful collection of medieval artifacts, including the only complete set of cloth-of-gold vestments in Europe. The museum also houses the 13th century Choristers’ Hall and the 15th century Mayor’s wine vault – the oldest wine vault in Ireland.
- Reginald’s Tower is an iconic landmark on the quays of Waterford city and is Ireland’s oldest civic building. The tower is home to an exhibition of the many magnificent artifacts from the Viking period in Waterford. Guided tours take visitors back in time to hear how the tower served as a medieval defence monument to the city.
- The Bishop’s Palace is a museum containing displays of items from the Georgian and Victorian periods in Waterford. The building was the residency of the Anglican bishops up until a century ago and now exhibits a collection of fine items, such as the oldest piece of Waterford Glass in the world.
The Viking Triangle offers all these fantastic attractions and more hidden gems to discover over the long weekend in August. Visit waterfordtreasures.com for more information.
Christmas and New Year’s Day
Christmas at Waterford City is a unique experience. Visiting Winterval – Ireland’s biggest Christmas festival – is a must for the whole family. All ages are welcome to Santa’s Grotto. Take the Winterval Express or enjoy the Waterford Eye. With a jam-packed schedule of fun, there are free events and ticketed events for all to enjoy. The festival spreads across Waterford’s city centre which makes for a great way to see the city transformed with lights on every corner.
Each year, Lafcadio Hearn Japanese Gardens hosts The Enchanted Garden Winter Light Festival. See the gorgeous gardens lit up with Christmas light displays and you might even spot a few fairies along the way.
Waterford is also a great shopping destination. From shopping centres to independent shops, you’ll find everything you need for your Christmas shopping.
Waterford City is a fantastic place to explore over a long weekend. Stay at Treacys Hotel Waterford City and book direct for the best price guaranteed.